Friday, August 14, 2009

CONCERT PHOTOGRAPHY LEGALITIES


Last night I went to see PAT BENATAR and NEIL GIRALDO at a free concert in Asser Levy Park in Brooklyn. The show was great, but something annoyed me. I'm a professional photographer, so that means I have noticable "pro" gear to accompany that fact, which means I get singled out for special treatment from security people. So, let's take a look at concert photography and taking pictures. First off, in this instance, the concert was outdoors and I could've easily taken shots from the street with a telephoto lens, so security guards telling me "no pictures" is just patently ridiculous. Secondly, virtually everyone these days has a cell-phone camera, so checking people's bags for cameras now becomes a new legality and a case for selective enforcement. I understand that recording devices for the audio should be banned as the music is copyrighted material, but performers are celebrities performing in public and therefore having their pictures taken is part of the deal. Having audience members in no way hinders the hired, working pro from shooting the concert and making his bread. Moreover, when concert goers PAY for tickets or not, they should be allowed some personal momento of their experience in the form of photographic memories and NOT be told that they can't do it. It's time for new legislation to challenge these archaic "laws," if any laws are actually at work here, and security guards need to be put in their place for their overcompensating of their position. Meanwhile, enjoy these pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment